PREPARE THE FISH
- Cut the fish into neat portions, about 5X7cm
- Place the flour, salt and pepper in a clean plastic bag, mix well, add about 7 fish portions at a time, and shake the bag to coat the fish with flour
- Remove the fish and add it to the beaten egg to coat it lightly
- Heat approximately 15mm deep oil in a frying pan
- Place the fish into the oil and fry over medium heat until it is place golden
- Remove the fish and place it on paper towel to absorb excess oil
Shallow fry until golden
Drain oil on kitchen paper
PREPARE THE SAUCE
Using a deep stainless steel pot, heat the oil.
Add the onions, ginger and the spices and sauté to heat the spices and start to soften the onions. Do not brown the onions.
Add the bay leaves, sugar, 500ml water, vinegar, jam and chutney. Allow the mixture to boil for 2-3 minutes. The onions must remain crisp.
Taste and adjust flavour with chutney, vinegar or chilli if required.
Mix the starch with the small quantity water to form a paste, add to the mixture and let it boil for 2 minutes, while stirring gently.
Using a porcelain, glass or pottery dish, layer the sauce and fish, ensuring that the final layer of fish is covered with the sauce.
Cover the dish with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate until required. Ideally for 7 days or longer.