I prefer this recipe to any Panacotta as it is lighter and the Yoghurt makes it just slightly healthier!
You can serve it simply with a drizzle of honey and nuts or with any fruit.
30ml cold water
15 ml gelatine
125ml warm water
250ml whipping cream (cold)
25-50ml castor sugar (this depends on what you will be serving the mousse with, I prefer it less sweet)
5ml vanilla extract
250ml full cream yoghurt (cold)
- Pour the cold water into a heat resistant bowl, sprinkle over the gelatine & allow it to stand for about 5 minutes, add the remaining water, stir gently & microwave for about 20 second intervals until the gelatine has melted.
- Whisk the cold cream until it form soft peaks as you lift the whisk. Add the sugar & vanilla and whisk to mix well, but do not over-whisk.
- Add the gelatin to the yoghurt, mixing thoroughly and gently stir the yoghurt into the cream.
- Spoon mixture into serving dish or individual (preferably glass) dishes and place in fridge to set.
- Once set, top with fruit, nuts or honey.
- I like to remove the mousse from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving.
For a Moroccan or Indian menu top with Strawberries and Orange macerated in a rose flavoured syrup
For 8-10 servings
200g small strawberries halved or quartered
2 oranges, segmented
Zest from one orange
100ml granulated sugar
20ml Rose water (buy good quality)
Wash strawberries, hull them (after washing) and quarter the berries. Add the orange zest and segments. Sprinkle over the sugar and rose water and leave to stand for 2-3 hours.
Just before serving spoon the fruit and some of the syrup onto the surface of the mousse.